Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year from Namibia


Disclaimer: all of the opinions and views expressed in this blog belong strictly to the writer and are not officially associated with WorldTeach in any way!

The flights over to Africa and to Windhoek, Namibia were wonderful! South African Airlines were so hospitable! We even got a full meal on the 3 hour flight from Jo’berg to Windhoek.  And even though the flights were long and that kinda stunk, we had no problems with passports, visas, tickets or lost luggage, which was super lucky! Everything with that trip went pretty seamlessly.

The first half of the group of teachers this year met up and got to know each other over ice breakers then dinner.  Everyone is really great! And the rest of the group arrived this afternoon.  Overall, the group is really positive, excited and realistic about this experience! We have a lot of experienced service people and travelers, as well as a number of certified and experienced teachers. 

Our training over the next two weeks is going to be super comprehensive, I think.  Brett, our field director is very on top of things, so we’ll be covering a lot of culture, lesson planning, working within the Namibian education system, and language.  Whirlwind, for sure, but should be great!

We don’t have phones, yet, but there is internet at our hostel (Back Packer Unite), which is REALLY awesome! Both having the internet, and the hostel itself. So far everyone here has been really nice, the food has been delicious (pizza is a little different than the States, but easy and yummy!), the water has been totally potable, and there is a small swimming pool to keep cool!

One shocker moment was that when were flying into the airport, which is pretty far out, we literally couldn’t see anything, and kind of thought we were just landing on the plain of Namibia.  Windhoek was hidden by some mountains, and there was just. nothing. This is definitely an indicator of what life in the village will be like. That will be interesting. 

Once we got into the city, though, Windhoek is a very small city, with gated communities and business along the roads outside of the center of town.  Walking the streets of the center of town was a lot like walking around in a small city in the States.  People dressed pretty much the same, there was a huge, really green park, and businesses and shops, with people trying to sell you newspapers and hand you fliers.  It was definitely a familiar feeling! Even a five minute walk out of the center, though, there is a lot more sand and the roads narrow, and you walk along the side between the walls and the road (usually like a five-ten foot gap). We did go into the city of Windhoek this morning to try and buy phones, and holy-first-world-Batman, there was a mall!! Like a full on, air-conditioned, cleaner than Eastview Mall! That was almost reverse culture shock, right off the bat, but it was also nice not to have to transition completely to village life right away.  

We’re having a braai for New Years Eve tonight.  Braai are barbeques (ours will be chicken and sausage) that are very common all around Namibia.  We’ll also have lettuce salad (not very common here), pasta salad (basically the Namibian definition of salads are this style—think lots of mayo on noodles, potatoes or… anything. It’s not a salad without mayo!), and corn on the cob.  Plus Hunter’s hard cider, of COURSE!

The party’s getting started! Happy New Year everyone! I love you all very much, and miss you like crazy, but so far, I think 2013 is going to be a WONDERFUL year, full of life-changing events and interactions, lots of teachable moments, lots of teaching, lots of assimilating, hopefully effecting some changes, and lots of helping others.

Cheers! 

4 comments:

  1. wonderful! happy new year. so glad to learn about all your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel,

    Wow- the power of the internet! I am a former WorldTeach volunteer. I was a teacher in Divundu at Divundu Combined School in 2010. I stumbled across this blog as I was googling about the village. I started a non profit organization called Unlock Foundation that helps with projects at the school in Divundu. I have heard wonderful things about the Divundu Vision School, where you will be teaching, and you will love the village.

    I visit Divundu each year now, to check up on projects and I will be in the village on 20 January. Perfect timing! Hope to see you soon, and look forward to meeting you!

    If you need anything from the States just let me know. i arrive in Windhoek on Jan. 18th!

    Cheers from NYC,
    Scott Karrel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Scott!
    We're heading to Divundu on Thursday, so I will be there when you arrive. It's so wonderful that you have kept helping Divundu. I am so excited to see what the Vision School brings to Namibian education, and to Divundu.

    I am really looking forward to meeting you!

    Travel safely!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. HELLO viewer am here to share my testimony on how I finally join the Illuminati hood and became RICH,FAMOUS AND POWERFUL, I tried all my possible best to become a member of the hood but I was scam several times, before I finally come across a testimony on net so I contacted the agent, I was so afraid that he will ask me for lot of money before I can join the hood but to my greatest surprise he only ask me to obtain the membership form which I did and today am so happy to say to the world that am one of the richest by having the sum of $360 millions dollars in my personal account as a new member and am also known all over the world with the business given to me by the Illuminati and also have power to do that which I want...... I know so many people are online also looking for help here is their official email (ILLUMINATIWORLDRICHFAMOUS666@GMAIL.COM) or contact them on WhatsApp via: +2349064844957  

    ReplyDelete