Friday, January 25, 2013

First Day of School, Namibia Style


18/1/2013  
              Since the learners do not rotate to different teachers, the teachers rotate to the students.  In the first few days of classes, when the time table is being set up, this means a bit of chaos.  The time table changes daily, class length is variable, and teachers don’t always know where they need to be.  I am partnering with Mr. Fungo, the Information and Communication Technology/Computers teacher, and splitting the classes.  We have not yet decided if we will split it such that I get a few whole classes, or if we will split each class in half when we go to the labs, so that each of us is teaching 15 learners at a time.  I think I would prefer the second option, but half the number of classes of thirty or the whole number of classes of fifteen learners seems to be sort of a wash at some point.  Plus if we just split the classes to 15, it might be easier for him to transition back to the full load once I leave. We shall see.
                Right now, teaching computers is difficult.  There are none here. Nor is there internet set up yet. Mr. Fungo is hopeful that the computers and internet hardware will arrive next week. This, along with everything else that is missing, is frustrating to many teachers.  There are just barely enough chairs and desks for all of the learners. The staff room has just enough chairs for almost all of us to sit during staff meetings (if we take all of the chairs from every room in the administrative wing).  There are no tables or chairs in the dining hall.  Text books are here, but not yet distributed to learners or teachers.  I think this was my biggest fear/negative expectation: that the school would not be ready yet.  I just hope that stuffs will be here before I leave, so that I can hopefully make use of them, and help set up good practices with learners and staff.
                The learners and staff are very excited to be here.  There is almost a camp like feel amongst the girls in the hostel next to my flat.  Most of the grade eight learners are from all over the country, so new friendships are being forged here.  The grade eleven girls are mostly from the surrounding Kavango region—some know each other, some do not.  All of the children I’ve talked to are very proud to be here. They definitely get that this school is going to be a big deal, and they want to be a successful part of it. 
                I want to do three major things while I am here, beyond teaching computers. First, I would like to set up some sort of careers/college counseling and fair.  Learners here have very lofty goals, which could be attainable, but don’t know what it takes to get from here to there.  I would like to help bridge that gap in knowledge, perhaps through working with the school counselor.  Right now, though, he seems caught up in dealing with homesick children.  The kids will not leave here until the school year is over, so some are very overwhelmed. 
                Second, I would like to help teachers integrate technology into their classrooms.  I would like to work with the biology teachers to use the internet to look up information about HIV/AIDS and other health related topics, geography teachers to use Googlemaps and other online mapping tools, history teachers to make interactive timelines, and English teachers to incorporate word processing into their writing curricula.  Right now, the teachers try to make their classes interactive and more student-centered, but haven't had much opportunity to practice asking good leading questions or design activities that directly engage students with the material.  But I think the drive and effort is there on the part of the teachers. 
                Third, I would like to involve students in some sort of theater group talking about teen pregnancy and HIV/AIDS—especially the grade 11’s.  The Kavango region has a super high rate of teen pregnancy, and the HIV/AIDS rate is 25%.  Involving students in getting the message of goal-driven safe sex, abstinence, and faithfulness out there would be great for this community.  Part of me wishes I were in the community more than this more secluded school.  On the other hand, we’ve been given a lot of really bright students, and I get to help them find their potential and figure out how to make it a reality.  

No comments:

Post a Comment