Friday, January 25, 2013

Idealism, Part 1: Being Helpful to versus Helping People


19/1/13
                One of the biggest questions I have been dealing with since deciding to come here is-What do I want to do with my life?  Broad question for sure. 
                So far in my life, I have thrived on being helpful to people.  Doing the dishes, being proactive when things need to be done, scraping shit without being asked, and generally being helpful to any processes going on around me.  I really love this part about me, and I try to be helpful.
                But there is a difference between being helpful to and really, truly helping people.  Helping people is a much more interactive process.  What I really like about WorldTeach is that we are partnered with the Namibian Ministry of Education.  We have asked them what their goals are for their education system, and have worked out, in partnership with the government, steps that we can take to help them achieve these goals in their schools.  As teachers in the schools here, we are advocates and musclemen helping these goals become a reality.  We are not coming in here and just spouting our own ideas about how things should be run, but instead are listening, and working with everyone here to help them set up their vision for education in Namibia. 
                Helping also pans out on the individual level.  I have adopted a favorite question when I meet new learners: Why are you here? I have gotten some pretty amazing answers. Students want to do their best, to become engineers, doctors, geologists, to help their families, to get good grades, to be part of something bigger than themselves.  I want to help them achieve these goals—get them the academic education they need, impart computer skills they need to be a part of the global society, empower them to not get pregnant, and keep them healthy so that these goals can be followed through on to the end. 
                Well don’t I just sound all idealistic. Ah to be young and doing service for others.  Oh wait.  That’s me. I know I’ll get jaded, but I hope I don’t lose sight of that goal to truly help others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment