Friday, April 12, 2013

Centralization

A glimpse at a detail of a centralized government, which has total control over the education over the whole country:

We are currently in two weeks of exams.  Over the past month, we've had many representatives from the Central Office here to evaluate and support us, as we are a new school.  They have given some valuable advice and suggestions as well as support in getting the things we need to run a successful school, as well as feedback which was unnecessary or overbearing or even rude.

One of the pieces of feedback I received from the subject adviser for the computers classes I am teaching was about my grading.  I need to make check marks for each correct answer on the page.  A large 'C' over matching or true-false sections is not good.  Making +2 next to an answer worth two points is not good.  I must make checks.  That is the way it is done. Period.  No other marking strategies are allowed in Namibia.

Could this particular issue matter any less? Yet is the ONLY piece of direct feedback on my teaching I have received.  I

Welcome to centralized government, ladies and gents.

No comments:

Post a Comment