Friday, July 5, 2013

Controlling our Emotions

This week in Life Skills, we are discussing how to control our emotions, so that they don't control our actions.  For homework, I asked them to reflect on a time when they had been controlled by their emotions--How did you feel, what did you do, and what would you have done differently?  The following is the answer one boy gave me.

"Write about a time when you were controlled by your emotions. How did you feel? What did you do?
           When I wanted to kill a lizard that was in my room, I felt pity for it, because it was innocent. I took it and went to put it on the grass.  I let it free.
If you had more control over your emotions, what would you have done differently?
            I could have killed it."

10 out of 10.  Nice job, bud!

Now... there are many things that could be going on here:
1. He could have missed the point of the assignment.  Perhaps he thought he was to write about a time when he didn't lose control.
2. Pity overwhelmed him. In that case, BE A MAN and KILL THE LIZARD!

I find it so funny that I'm almost sure he was thinking #2.  That is just so different than most American kids would think about a lizard in their room, where we have to protect the adorable little guy.

UPDATE: I sat down with this learner to make sure he understood the assignment.
"Read what you wrote, and explain to me which emotions were controlling your actions."
He read it and replied, "Kindness."
"... So you think you should have ..." I pointed at the paper where he said 'I could have killed it.'
"Yeah. I should have killed it, but kindness led me not to."

Alright. well he understood the assignment.  Not what I was expecting, but definitely an insight into his mind and the cultural position of animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment