Friday, June 13, 2014

Disappointments and Proud Moments

Yesterday was a disappointment, and today, I was proud.

We had visitors come to the school yesterday to talk to our learners about "Saving the Rhino." They brought a very inspiring message about how important biodiversity is to environments, and how important the environment (especially the diversity found in Namibia) is great for the economy.  They also spoke about how inhumane and unsustainable rhino poaching is. Then the visitors had the learners draw pictures of rhinos to send to Vietnam, where people purchase rhino horn, to show the "Voices of the African Children" speaking up for the rhino.  The best drawing also won a bicycle!!

All in all, the kids had lots of fun and got to take tons of pictures and draw and take part in a mission to help their country's natural resources.  They also lost 3 hours of classes and their focus for the rest of the day.  Now I'm not saying that the goals of sustainability, conservation or ecology are bad. I think they are very important things.  But if you're going to come to a school to talk to children about these issues, then please be more empowering for the children who are there.  The undertones of the visit was "us-getting-our-drawings-from-you-is-more-important-than-whatever-teaching-you-were-planning-to-do-today," instead of "let's-work-together-to-get-these-kids-psyched-about-the-environment."  I think that what bothered me most about it was that the kids didn't get that subtle message.  And they're kids, so why would they? They're going to enjoy the drawing and the attention while it's there.

But there is a silver lining that the learners here are starting to ask the bigger questions.  Today, I was sitting in on a Life Skills class in which they were discussing marriage, laws and tradition.  The teacher said something along the lines of two men or two women cannot get married because it's wrong. One learner from the back raised his hand, and asked, "But why?" The teacher responded, "Because it's illegal." "But why?" The teacher, shocked, retorted, "Are you questioning the law?" and to my immense pleasure and pride, seven or so learners responded, "Yeah!" There was no response to them, except a beaming smile on my face.

I know that this questioning of the system is a generally Western thing to do, and I'm not sure how it will effect blossoming countries like Namibia, but I hope it would effect things positively.  I am so proud of my learners.  If only adults would learn this, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment