Friday, June 13, 2014

Special Education

Part of my role as the WorldTeach teaching fellow is that I get to provide teaching support for the other volunteers.  After helping with orientation and our midservice conference, this basically consists of a mass text once a week for "Teaching Tip Tuesday." But sometimes, volunteers ask me for help with various issues they're facing in their classrooms, and it's always really rewarding to hear about stress turned success in their lives.  

That happened this week with one volunteer who is struggling with four learners documented with learning disabilities.  However, there is not any sort of system in Namibian schools for providing consistent support to these learners.  The structures in place in New York schools, like individualized education plans, case managers and resource rooms simply do not exist here.  These learners mostly get ignored and pushed along.   But for the volunteer, this wasn't good enough. He couldn't sit by and not help these learners in some way.  We talked it out for a long while, and he revealed more about these kids.  They're nonverbal in their home language and in English.  So I suggested drawing and colouring for these learners, since they always end up doodling anyway.  Their pictures can even be related to the work that is being done in class--colouring simple nouns etc. 

The volunteer bravely was worried that this wouldn't be enough for these kids, and I responded with one of the saddest things I think I could have thought of: Anything you do with these kids is probably more than they're getting outside of your class. 

Positively, though, he took my advice, and the feedback today was that the drawing went really well! I'm proud of the kids, proud of the vol and proud of myself! 

2 comments:

  1. Do they have hearing issues? Or other learning disabilities? Perhaps we can provide resources?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I should point out that Namibia has a really good handle on vision and hearing impaired learners. It's the more mental disabilities/syndromes which are not being addressed.

    ReplyDelete