Sunday, June 9, 2013

05-06-2013 RVS meets Hawkeye: Lessons in Humanity

This past week was the last week of the Hawkeye Campership Fund’s Stache-for-Cash month, and I had my art classes participate by making blue (Iroquois pride) moustaches.  It should be noted that I did not FORCE my kids to make blue moustaches.  I informed them of the four tribal colours, and let them know that blue is mine.   They were completely free to make their moustaches any colour they wanted.  I simply only supplied them with blue coloured pencils. 

We also looked at pictures from hikes last summer, and talked about the fun things we do at camp.  Many of my learners were surprised to learn that there are vulnerable kids in the US.  We talked about how not all camps are like Camp Rock where everyone has great clothes and loving families.  We talked about how many kids in the US have to take care of their families, just like kids in Namibia do.  Camp is their only time to really be kids and make friends and play.  When we were looking at the pictures, someone said, “But Miss Mayer, they don’t look vulnerable…” I was about to explain that looks can be deceiving in a PC way, when another learners said that “Just because they’re white doesn’t mean they’re not vulnerable sometimes. Haven’t you been paying attention?” Minus the indignation, I was really proud to have taught a lesson. At the beginning of the lesson, many learners raised their hands when I asked who thinks all kids in the US are rich and come from loving families.  I think at the end of the lesson, many learners were at least starting to question that notion, beginning to think about the lives actual kids around the world lead, rather than just what the movies tell them.




One learner wanted to know how we could donate money to help send kids to camp.  These kids here have next to nothing, yet they want to help get kids to camp after me talking about how great camp is for 20 minutes.  My learners here have nothing to donate or give but their love.  But YOU, dear reader, might! Visit www.hawkeyecampershipfund.org to help send kids to camp this and next summer!  These classes of Rukonga Vision School students, campers at Hawkeye and I thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment