Sunday, June 23, 2013

22/6/2013 Smile, Breathe and Be Weird

I know I’ve been writing a lot about the more negative/less happy aspects of being here lately, but I think that’s a major result of writing being my outlet when I’m upset.  But my experiences are far from all negative.

Those times when I get to be in front of a group of kids or working with a group of kids being my weird self are the greatest.  I geek out over CVs and college applications and budgets in Life Skills class.  We run like crazy people in Phys Ed.  I belt out silly blues songs in Art class.  We float across the stage in dance rehearsal.  Those Mayer-learners moments are my favorite.  I think that’s part of what I’ve been missing this term—Mayer-learner time is more limited somehow with the new timetable we’ve adopted this term, and I just miss the learners. 

But today was full of ‘em.  This afternoon, we had dance rehearsal, and we really, really rehearsed.  Repeating moves like 15 times, scolding of limp noodle arms, giving the counts, demonstrating for and dancing with learners, really becoming a team with my ten ballroom quickstep dancers.  It was amazing! And they even didn’t stop dancing when the rest of the learners came into in the dining hall for lunch! I was so proud of them! And had such a fun time.  The pairs we have are so perfect: there’s the tall, silent pair, who are really talented and work so well together, and don’t really talk at all (I think they’re in luv), the super drama club couple—think the brother and sister from High School Musical, the slightly frazzled leader of the group and his takes-no-shit partner.  The nerdy boy who has really bad rhythm and the girl stomps her feet, and the short couple who have some serious natural talent.

And then this evening, we had Who Wants to be a Millionaire.  Two of the LRCs asked the questions, I ran the computer/MC’ed the event, the Head Boy ran the music, and the rest of the LRCs ran security.  So it was all set—Miss Mayer running an event for 240 learners.  Cool.

Only they didn’t really understand the life-line thing, so we went through the learners really quickly.  **Thinks on feet--** LIGHTNING ROUNDS FOR THE WHOLE SCHOOL! YES!

Now I think anyone can see how this could go horribly awry.  Learners could get pissed, they could fight over candy, it could spiral out of any control I was clinging to.  But instead, something crazy happened—It worked!!! Before we started doing the lightning rounds, I addressed the school very frankly.  I said, “Do you remember that time when we tried to play a game (capture the flag), and it failed miserably?” “YES” “OK, but do you also remember how you were really good sports about it, and went along with things happily anyway?” “YEAH”  “What I’m about to do is along the same lines.  You’re going to have to bear with me!”  “ALRIGHT!”  From there, it was easy

We had some lightning rounds after each official round in the style of the show, interspersed with various choir and dance performances to mix it up a little.  It helped a lot that I had all the candy!  The only part that got crazy was at the end when all the boys try to corner me for the left over candy, cheering “Sweets! Sweets! Sweets!” I was a little afraid for my life for a moment.  The few who genuinely offered to help me pack things up got sweets.  And then everyone else tried to “help.” One picked up a piece of paper and handed it to me with a look-what-I-did!-Aren’t-you-so-proud? look on his face.  Adorable, but no, you don’t get a sweet for that.  They also wanted me to throw candy into the crowd. THAT was NOT going to happen.  So all-in-all the whole evening was an on-the-edge-of-chaos success.  Just the kind I love. And now, I’m in my flat, very sugar-high and very happy.  My flat-mate is listening to math versions of “Call Me Maybe,” girls are singing in the dorm, we turned off the TV, and life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear! Structure chaos is the sort of balance that is the best, when it works! We are rooting for you every day!

    ReplyDelete