Sunday, February 10, 2013

A trip to Rundu


                Getting anywhere (Rundu) takes ~4 hours each way. And a lot of patience. Thank goodness I can sleep in kombis. The back gravel roads, where we stop to pick people up and drop them off takes forever, and the drivers sometimes stop to chat with friends etc. You do meet some fun people though! And we stopped at a ferry launch which crosses the Okavango River to Angola, where you can look right across. That was pretty cool!
We got to Rundu and finished our banking business-I have an ATM card now! And then we got milkshakes! Yum!! AAAAAND there were women selling MANGOS! And plums! Gonna be a great week!
                We watched the Jungle Book as a school tonight. The kids laughed a lot, and the speakers were much more functional than last week, when we watched Pirates of the Caribbean. Afterwards, as per instructions of the principal, girls went back to the hostel first, and the boys, characteristically, complained.  But then I played some PDK (a Namibian band) for them, and they danced and had fun. Then I sent them home.  I try not to make it feel like I am punishing them for being born boys.
                Hopefully next week, other teachers will be prepared not to have a movie night on Saturday evening, but instead do something more interactive, fun and educational.  I think one teacher wanted to plan a debate night.  I’m planning a play night for the grade 8s to present their term’s work from Arts in Culture for the end of the term.  And at some point, I want to get together with Nathan, a Peace Corps volunteer from Chicago who is stationed 7 k away, and have a leadership workshop with the grade 11s.
                Teaching is going well, and Mr. Fungo and I are working out the logistics of the term and who will be teaching what.  I think we need to function a bit more as a team, and I want to work more student centered/cooperative learning strategies into both of our teaching.  Technology installation began this week, so hopefully computers will be here, and school wide wireless internet will be up and running very soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment