Thursday, February 21, 2013

We have computers!



                We have one whole class set of computers! We’ve been getting the learners onto the laptops this week, and making pictures in Paint.  Usually, we set up the projector, and then have the children work in pairs or groups of three: one who is more experience acts as the teacher, and the novice(s) is (are) their learner(s).  It’s going pretty well, and I think everyone is engaged and feeling empowered to use the computers.  The first day, I think many were afraid they would break the computer by pressing the power button too hard, but they’re getting used to it now, which is really nice to watch.  I’m taking a page out of Kristen’s book (she’s volunteering over near Oshikati), and giving them all a printed out keyboard.  I hope that will help them become familiar with the layout.  I will probably have them label the functions of some of the special keys, on it, so that they know. 



                Overall, classes are going really well, and the learners and teachers are settling into the routines and rhythms of the school. 
                One of the learners came to the teachers with an idea for a play to teach students how to take advantage and not waste this opportunity.   I have taken him up on the idea, and we (that learner, three other learners and I) have been writing the script for the play. Hopefully writing the script will be done by Sunday, and we can start to plan out and rehearse with play.  There are about 40 learners who want to help, so the interest is outstanding! I’m just trying to figure out a way to get everyone involved fairly.   Big, middle school style chorus numbers, anyone?! It’s bringing me back to my Mr. Putnam days! I love it.  Hopefully we can perform it one weekend coming up for a Saturday evening activity. 
                I also really want to have a cultural dance exchange one Saturday night.  I’m learning a lot of dances in the art classes, and I’m thirsty for more!


1 comment:

  1. I hope our package to you comes soon! there are posters for the class room -- big key boards and explanations, and internet safety, and others. And a computer boarder for the room.
    So what is the play about? Sounds likke so much fun! Mr Putnam should be glad to have you following his fancy footwork!

    ReplyDelete