Sunday, February 17, 2013

Song and Dance

For art class this week, I asked the learners to tell me about three songs that they know.  They are telling me about how gospel music makes them feel closer to God, how Mariah Carey makes them miss their father who died a few years ago, how house music makes them want to dance, and how songs they have written make them feel happy.  These kids have such a good grasp on their feelings, and they write pages and pages about it.  Music is their main source of self and emotional expression. I think I'm going to just have so much fun with this class. Culturally, they are raised to be able to set any words to rockin' Gospel 5 part harmonies, and dances to the songs. It is so awesome!

I'm going to post video soon of my kids dancing. There is a five year old son of a teacher who pops and locks better than anyone I've ever seen. He laughs at me when I dance.  And he thinks he can grow up to be Spiderman. Buddy, you can be anything you want!



Huron, Seneca, Mohican... better watch out! Just sayin'. These talented kids are going to teach Miss Mayer how to dance next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment