Thursday, March 21, 2013

Independence Day!

Happy Namibian Independence Day!! I get to be the fun counselor.

This morning, we had cultural presentations by the different tribes and groups, and speeches and poems about Independence.  This is like Flag Day and the Fourth of July meet African dancing.  It was very cool to see the students getting so into their cultural stuff.  I loved it, and the rest of the staff who showed up really liked it, too.



After that presentation, I tried to play CTF with the whole school and it was a pretty epic fail.  I tried to play it where the teams hide the flag, and then go find their flag on campus.  Every member of both teams had to know where the flag was hidden or it was negative points.  However, the kids picked up quickly on the cheating factor and invaded the other teams’ meetings so they knew where the flag was hidden.  Seneca, anyone??? It was hilarious though.  I’ll try class vs class CTF on the field next time, with cheering and 7 minute games, etc. 

After lunch, all of the kids came back to the Dining Hall for dancing.  I was DJ Miss Mayer.  First, we had some groups perform.  After that, kids could go and hang out wherever they wanted.  I stayed after the official performances.  Some kids went and took naps or showers or hung out in the dorms. But about 40 kids stayed in the dining hall and danced for 2 hours.  I DJ’ed. And I love how the kids are so excited with each song I put on.  Everyone was smiling and dancing and laughing at me and having a blast. It was the free-est I’ve seen these kids since we got here.  And I get to be the fun one!

No comments:

Post a Comment