Sunday, March 10, 2013

Peace Corps Weekend in Rundu

This Friday, I left school (which somewhat left me in a minor panic mode all weekend thinking about how things were going at school, but that's because I'm a control freak!), to visit a whole bunch of the Kavango Region Peace Corps Volunteers (PVCs for those in the know) as they said goodbye to Group 33.  Those volunteers have been here in Nam for 2+ years, doing all sorts of health projects for their communities and the country, and it was really nice to meet so many volunteers who love Namibia and their experiences so much!

This weekend was basically the weekend of gluttony  On Friday night, we went out for pizza, and Nathan (the PVC in Divundu) stayed in because he wasn't feeling well. I was going to bring back some of my pizza for him, but I housed the whole thing instead! It was delicious.  Sorry Nathan. Saturday morning, I went to the bank, got there at 8:20, it opened at 8:30, and I was done with deposits by 8:45.  Bam! So I went to Forget Me Not Cafe and ate for the whole rest of the morning.  Not solid eating for 3 hours, as I was also grading art books and planning the rest of this term, but still.  Omelet, toast, 2 cups of coffee (real, yummy coffee), and 2 milk shakes. Whatever. Went to a braai after that and had some coleslaw, sausage, baked goods and wine.  Also the most delicious Doritos I've ever had! Sweet Chili something-or-other. Yum. And today, I had Hungry Lion chicken and ice cream (caramel dip, obviously!).

But the important thing is that I did not have any fat cakes (fried dough that women sell on the streets and someone brought to the braai), so I'm there for going to continue my weight loss trend.  That's how it works, you know.

Other than the food, the weekend was amazing! Peace Corps people were really welcoming at the party, and I bonded with Steph, a newer PCV who is teaching in the region, about Taxoplasma gondii and dread locks; I might take Geo's cat; we're planning an Easter get together in Divundu.  This morning, we went to the Teacher Resource Center/PVC office in Rundu, and we helped Nathan and Andre (who looks just like Andre from The League for anyone who watches that show) discover Pinterest, and I tapped into their book and media supplies.  Altogether, this weekend was awesome!

This coming week, I'm having students teach some lessons on using files and folders to the grade 8 ICT classes. I'm really excited to see what they come up with!  And I'll let you all know how those lessons go for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment